Pick your topic to read or study about!
COMMONLIT is a collection of poems, short stories, news articles, historical documents, and literature for classrooms.
Reading passages by Lexile level. Even includes paired passages and questions including short answer responses. Elementary - Intermediate
Register for free!
The following list includes the Top 10 Free Educational Tools for teaching reading and writing. Help your students make the best of their learning experience by trying out those tools that I highly recommend you to use.
- Poetry Idea Engine Learn the many ways to write poetry and create your own haiku, limerick, or free verse poem with the Poetry Idea Engine.
- Bartleby Bartleby is an online source of literature, reference and verse, providing students, researchers and the intellectually curious with unlimited access to books and information on the web, free of charge. The indices are by author, subject and title.
- Orangoo Avoid spelling errors by using this online spell check tool to create impeccable texts.
- Books should be free Here you can find thousands of free audio books that you can download in mp3, iPod and iTunes format for your portable audio player.
- Children’s storybooks Many wonderful free illustrated childrens’ books are available to read at Children's Storybooks Online. Stories span age ranges from preschool, young children, teens, through young adults.
- Free classic audiobooks As the title says, here you can find classic stories and encourage your students to read them for free.
- Free rice For every correct answer you choose, 10 grains of rice are raised to help end world hunger through the World Food Programme. While your students play this vocabulary game, they learn while donating food to people in need.
- Word search maker Learn easier new words with word search maker. Make your own custom word search worksheets for your students. A variety of options is available including font size, font style, lowercase or uppercase letters, grid shape, word placement, and more.
- Writing prompts/journal topics In this website you can get useful ideas on topics to assign to your students.
- Rhyme zone RhymeZone is a language arts reference tool and comprehensive search engine for words. Includes the functions of a rhyming dictionary, thesaurus, and spelling check. Just type in a word to find a whole bunch of related words.